Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Stereo"types" of Diabetes


“I’m FAT”.

Those two self-deprecating words have rolled off my tongue several times in the last few weeks….way more than they should. The only person who has heard me say this, is my husband, Dave, who always replies, “No, you’re not. You’re beautiful”. I’ve decided that he’s either a really good liar or he’s actually telling the truth. Ok, I really don’t think he’s lying but I wish I felt the same about myself as he feels about me.

Maybe I should rearrange my thinking and re-phrase that: I feel fat. And I think like I look fat in recent photos that I had to un-tag myself in on Facebook. I removed the images not only because I didn’t like how I looked but also because I felt some guilt in how I looked in the photos.

That irrational cringe of guilt stems from an unfortunate, yet common stereotype of diabetes – that if you’re overweight and you have diabetes then you basically ate yourself into the disease. The problem is that this isn’t necessarily true, especially not true for type 1, or juvenile, diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is more commonly associated with weight and eating habits but even with type 2, it doesn’t mean that it’s that persons fault for developing the disease.

One of the most common questions I get about diabetes is “What is the difference between type 1 and type 2”? Although my answer may not be the most scientific, this is my response: Type 1 is often diagnosed in people under 40, requires insulin injections to control, and occurs when the pancreas completely stops producing insulin. Type 2 is mainly diagnosed in older adults, (although we are seeing an increase in younger ages), it can usually be controlled by diet and exercise instead of insulin but not always, and sometimes, the pancreas is still producing insulin but the body just isn’t using it appropriately.

The stereotype that unhealthy lifestyles and weight is what causes diabetes is frustrating because the last thing I want people to think is that I did this to myself or that my weight is a reflection on how well I manage my diabetes. This is the exact thought that went through my head as I hit “Remove Tag” on Facebook. Even though I know it’s not true, I know that so many others don’t know that.

I have to remind myself of that and remind myself that I am taking good care of myself. I try and eat right, I exercise 3-4 times a week, I check my blood sugar, bolus insulin through my pump, try to keep a positive attitude, and try to educate people .

There are so many resources available to research and learn more about all types of diabetes. These sites can give you more scientific information than I can, so check ‘em out:

American Diabetes Association: www.diabetes.org
Central Ohio Diabetes Association: www.diabetesohio.org


1 comment:

  1. I agree with Dave, you are beautiful!!!! I'm glad that through my friendship with both you and Megan I've gained a better understanding regarding diseases that I once knew nothing about!

    ReplyDelete